Symptoms of Dry Sockets and Tips to avoid them
Heading to the dentist for the dental procedure of a tooth extraction? It is not a rare experience, as people are likely to undergo this painful dental emergency. Nevertheless, dry sockets are a less commonly endured condition observed following tooth extraction. Therefore, you must get an appointment with your trusted dentists as it needs follow-up care. Today, we will discuss the state of dry sockets, indicators point towards this condition, and preventive measures to circumvent it following a dental procedure.
Dry Sockets - Definition
Alveolar osteitis, the clinical name of dry sockets, is an uncomfortable and painful state that usually occurs after the tooth is extracted or a wisdom tooth is removed. People suffering from this condition usually have an inflammation in their tooth socket. Dry sockets are most frequently witnessed in the lower jawbone but there also exists a possibility that it may develop in the upper side of the jawbone. A dry socket is perhaps confined to one area except when a patient has undergone multiple extractions together. The increased level of complications and challenges related to tooth extraction has a direct relationship with the growth of a dry socket.
Symptoms of Dry Sockets
Although no two cases of dry sockets are similar, few common symptoms are noticed in all that can be recognized easily. These signs include:
- Extreme pain or aching effect in the jaws occurring after three days of extraction
- Missing blood clot at the site of extraction
- Bone is noticeable at the site
- Unpleasant odor coming from the mouth
- Foul taste emerging from the extracted socket
- Severe pain emitting from the empty socket in the entire face
Self-care at home has a significant role in curing tooth extraction while avoiding the development of a dry socket. The few vital ways to avoid this dental emergency include:
- Quit Smoking and don’t consume Tobacco: Smoking and tobacco chewing are probable of interrupting and delaying the curative process. Also, the smoke when inhaled multiplies the probability of dislodging the blood clots; hence, exposing the area to develop an infection. Therefore, dentists recommend not to smoke to consume tobacco.
- Avoid drinking from Straws: Blood clots can easily be dissolved by using straws while drinking beverages. So, the best technique for consuming fluids is sipping it directly from the cup for a couple of days to avoid clot loosening and proper healing.
- Follow Good Oral Hygiene: If patients simply follow the rule of proper dental care and hygiene, dry sockets can be circumvented. Oral hygiene reduces the production of germs and eventually helps in preventing infections. Therefore, be careful while brushing your teeth, especially around the extracted site.
- Rinse Mouth Gently: Adequate care is required while washing your mouth after a tooth extraction, as vigorous rinsing can lead to disturbing the blood clot. However, washing your mouth softly with warm salty water will help in avoiding the development of dry sockets.
- Adequate Dental Care: Dentists also prescribe to practice good dental care and advice patients to drink clear liquids in sufficient quantity. Also, stay away from eating hard foods that can irritate the affected area; rather, consume soft foods.
Tooth extraction is perhaps an uncomfortable dental protocol but if followed by a complication such as a dry socket, it can be a most horrible nightmare. But if you are likely to stick to proper care, you can definitely escape the condition while following the advice from your dentist.
WOW! An outstanding experience. A massive thanks to Dr Elina, what a truly extraordinary skillful and competent dentist. She is professional, compassionate, patient, considerate and attentive.A colossal expression of gratitude to the clinic and its staff for providing an amazing service. Made the decision today to move all our families dental care to this clinic under the trusting care of Dr. Elina. A noteworthy 5* service.
Amazing services. It was our first time for my husband and I, so a bit scared about what will happen (like every time we go to the dentist) and at end everything went perfectly. Our dentist Irynha was amazing, she was explaining to us all the situation and then she gave us a time to think about it for doing it or not. she was a careful listener and really helpful.
I am a loyal customer of the Dome MedDental Clinic for a few years and I must admit the high level of their staff, doctors and customer service. My special gratitude is for Dr. Iryna Zinkovych who has an excellent method as a dentist with a very thorough approach. She is extremely familiar with all of the latest trends in dental technology and she uses much of it in her practice. Dr. Iryna is a painless dentist. I would strongly recommend her and I am certain that there are many other patients who feel the same way.
Would definitely recommend! The clinic was able to make an appointment in the same day. My mother had acute severe tooth ache and the procedure was 99% pain free. Reasonable prices. Very friendly and helpful staff service.
Nice Doctor. Amazing place and service. Highly Recommended!!!
All is good and reliable, professional and friendly staff, reasonable prices, good location, easy to get an appointment. Definitely my choice while I live in Dubai.
I loved the clinic, all staff are very friendly and helpful. Doctor Maria is very professional and experienced. She gave me a lot of useful tips to maintain my teeth healthy. Definitely will recommend this clinic!