Jaw (Orthognathic) Surgery in Dubai
Jaw Surgery (also called Orthognathic surgery) is the orthopedic surgery of the jaws and facial structure. "Orthognathic Surgery" means "Surgery that puts the jaws straight". It is designed to reestablish a good dental occlusion after the patient experienced skeletal disharmonies and a facial and joint balance.
Indeed, it can also correct:
- Orthodontic problems are impossible to treat with braces.
- TMJ (TemporoMandibular Joint) problems
To summarize, Jaw (Orthognathic) Surgery is addressing the surgical correction of important disorders of Maxilla (Upper Jaw), Mandible (Lower jaw) or Chin.
What are the indications for Orthognathic Surgery?
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing,
- TMJ pain:
- ► To Know More about Temporomandibular (TMJ) Disorders, Click here.
- Receding or protruding chin,
- Abnormal wear of the teeth,
- Bites disorders: Open bites, Overbites, Underbites
- Insufficient growth of the Maxilla creating a Cleft Lip or Cleft Palate
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA):
- ► To Know More about Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), Click here.
There are three main interventions that reposition the jaws properly:
- Upper Jaw Surgery = Maxillary Osteotomy
- Lower Jaw Surgery = Mandibular Osteotomy
- Chin Surgery = Genioplasty to correct 2 different disharmonies of the chin:
- Retrogenia: Posterior position of chin. The characteristic of Retrogenia is a receding chin. Occlusion is normal.
- Progenia: Anterior position of the chin. The characteristic of Progenia is a prominent chin, Occlusion is normal.
- Depending on your particular case, our surgeon Dr Philippe or Dr Pierre will suggest you operate either a single jaw or both jaws at the same time (this is called Bi-maxillary surgery). Chin surgery can be performed alone, or in combination with one of the other surgeries.
Why Choose Us
Because we have the Best "Orthognathic" Surgeons in Dubai”
The Jaw (Orthognathic) Surgeries are performed by experienced Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons.
If you are in search of the best “Orthognathic” Surgeons in Dubai, then look no further than the Dome MedDental Clinic.
Our clinic is extremely proud of having two experts Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons, both being among the top Surgeons in the world:
- Dr Philippe CHANAVAZ is world-known mainly for his expertise in Dental Implantology, but he is also an expert in Orthognathic Surgery. He is teaching Implantology and is International Lecturer in several countries (France, India, etc…)
- Pr Pierre Jean BOULETREAU is world-known mainly for for his expertise in Orthognathic Surgery – Often considered and recognized as the No 1 in France. He has been teaching Orthognathic Surgery for years and he is currently Professor in French University (Lyon)
Typical treatment steps:
When there is an abnormality of growth of the jaws, the best treatment to find a normal and stable dental occlusion in time consists in the realization of an "Orthodontic-Surgical Protocol" which takes place as follows:
- Initial Detection of Jaw/Orthognathic disorder, generally after a visit to the Orthodontist.
Orthodontic Treatment 1, called Orthodontic Preparation Phase:
- Carried out by our Specialist Orthodontics.
- A dental appliance is set up by the orthodontist to properly realign the teeth of each jaw. The duration of this preparation varies from 6 to 18 months approximately.
- Carried out by one of our Expert Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, after an initial thorough examination conducted by Dr Philippe CHANAVAZ.
- This Surgery – normally conducted under General Anesthesia - lasts around 1 to 3 hours. The patient needs to plan 2 to 3 days of hospitalization.
- The upper and / or lower jaws are repositioned opposite one another.
Orthodontic Treatment 2, called Orthodontic Finishing Phase:
- Carried out by our Specialist Orthodontics
- Typically, this Post-surgery Orthodontic treatment lasts around 6 months
- The dental appliance is still kept a few months after the surgical procedure in order to obtain the most perfect dental occlusion possible.
Note: in very limited cases, Orthodontic treatment is not needed (example, Genioplasty)
I faced difficulty chewing my food properly because my teeth were not properly positioned especially when I closed my jaws. I also had the problem of posterior crossbite. I wanted a more feminine jawline with a proportional look to my face. Dr. Phillipe performed the Orthognathic procedure with outstanding results. I rate my experience as an extremely positive one.
I came to MedDental Clinic as a referral to get my severe underbite problem fixed. The oral and maxillofacial surgeon described the entire process of upper and lower jaw surgery. It made me feel at ease and I was able to take the decision, which turned out to be great. I am very happy with the results!
My jaws were underdeveloped, which affected my abilities to chew, speak, and breathe. It also caused teeth and gum problems, as I was not able to close my lips properly. Orthognathic surgery was all about improving my health. It became possible because of Dr. Phillipe who performed the corrective surgery for my jaw alignment. Highly recommend!!