Obstructive Sleep Apnea
What is Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)?
It is characterized by:
- impaired night ventilation during sleep,
- They may be partial interruptions (hypopneas) or complete (apnea) of breathing more or less prolonged.
- The most common symptoms are:
- Nocturnal snoring
- Poor sleep, non-restorative
- Fatigue awakening
- Headache upon waking
- Daytime sleepiness
- Altered intellectual abilities during the day (Memory loss)
Note: It is often the spouses of apneic patients who observe these nocturnal breathing difficulties.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment(s):
- The treatment of an OSA is best coordinated within a Multidisciplinary Concertation Meeting, which brings together various specialists:
- A specialist sleep doctor (Pneumologist for example)
- An ENT
- An Oral Surgeon or Maxillofacial Surgeon
- The different therapeutic options are:
- Hygiene and dietary measures: Overweight and obesity are major aggravating factors of OSA. A diet can therefore be prescribed in order to limit the severity of the syndrome and to improve the effectiveness of the treatments prescribed.
- Continuous Positive Pressure (CPAP) Ventilator Mask: A machine breathes pressurized air into the lungs during sleep with a mask on the face. This is a very effective way that can cure the OSAHS, no matter how severe it is. On the other hand, the tolerance of this means of treatment is not very good and approximately 50% of the patients give up wearing it after two years.
- Mandibular Advancement Orthosis (MAO): This is a gutter that is worn at night between the teeth and propels the lower jaw forward. This allows the tongue to be pulled forward, freeing space for the airways. These MAOs work well for mild and moderate OSA. The tolerance of MAO is good if it is prescribed and calibrated by a specialist doctor (oral surgeon or specialized stomatologist). You have to wear the device every night. However, in about 40% of patients, MOAs do not cure OSA.
- Maxillomandibular Advancement Surgery: A surgical procedure has been developed to increase the volume of the airways at rest and during sleep. A consultation with a maxillofacial surgeon specialized in this surgery will provide all the necessary information. This surgical procedure allows to cure definitively of OSA in 90% of the cases approximately.
Maxillomandibular Advancement Surgery:
- Surgical procedure:
- It is performed under general anesthesia: you will be completely asleep throughout the surgery
- Hospitalization for 1 to 3 days, depending on the programmed surgical procedure
- Convalescence at home after the procedure: 2 weeks to a month off work (or school break)
- All surgery is performed by the inside of the mouth: there is no visible scar on the skin.
- Once your jaw is repositioned properly, titanium plates will be placed on the bone to stabilize the new position of your jaw. These titanium plates are very well tolerated. Six months after the surgery, the surgeon will suggest you remove them if they are annoying or leave them in place if they do not interfere.
- All the incisions inside the mouth are closed with threads that disappear on their own: there are no points to remove in post-operative
- At the end of the procedure, elastics are placed between the jaws (except in case of isolated genioplasty) to guide them in the new occlusion
Why Choose Us? Because...
... We are very proud to have two of the world's best Specialized Surgeons in this Treatment,
- Pr Pierre BOULETREAU, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon:
- Is World-known for his expertise in "Orthognathic Surgery", and Maxillomandibular Advancement Surgery is part of it,
- Is often considered and recognized as the No. 1 in France,
- has been teaching Surgery for years and he is currently Professor in French University (Lyon): The Jaw (Orthognathic) Surgeries are performed by experienced Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons.
- Dr Philippe CHANAVAZ, Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon:
- Is World-known for his expertise in Dental Implantology,
- Is an expert in Orthognathic Surgery,
- Has been practicing Maxillomandibular Advancement Surgery for many years,
- Is an International Lecturer and Trainer
If you are in search of the best "Maxillomandibular Advancement Surgery for Obstructive Sleep Apnea" Surgeon in Dubai, then look no further than the Dome MedDental Clinic.
WOW! An outstanding experience. A massive thanks to Dr Elina, what a truly extraordinary skillful and competent dentist. She is professional, compassionate, patient, considerate and attentive.A colossal expression of gratitude to the clinic and its staff for providing an amazing service. Made the decision today to move all our families dental care to this clinic under the trusting care of Dr. Elina. A noteworthy 5* service.
Amazing services. It was our first time for my husband and I, so a bit scared about what will happen (like every time we go to the dentist) and at end everything went perfectly. Our dentist Irynha was amazing, she was explaining to us all the situation and then she gave us a time to think about it for doing it or not. she was a careful listener and really helpful.
I am a loyal customer of the Dome MedDental Clinic for a few years and I must admit the high level of their staff, doctors and customer service. My special gratitude is for Dr. Iryna Zinkovych who has an excellent method as a dentist with a very thorough approach. She is extremely familiar with all of the latest trends in dental technology and she uses much of it in her practice. Dr. Iryna is a painless dentist. I would strongly recommend her and I am certain that there are many other patients who feel the same way.
Would definitely recommend! The clinic was able to make an appointment in the same day. My mother had acute severe tooth ache and the procedure was 99% pain free. Reasonable prices. Very friendly and helpful staff service.
Nice Doctor. Amazing place and service. Highly Recommended!!!
All is good and reliable, professional and friendly staff, reasonable prices, good location, easy to get an appointment. Definitely my choice while I live in Dubai.
I loved the clinic, all staff are very friendly and helpful. Doctor Maria is very professional and experienced. She gave me a lot of useful tips to maintain my teeth healthy. Definitely will recommend this clinic!