Periodontal Gum Disease Treatment in Dubai
Definition of Periodontal disease:
- It means disease of the gum manifesting as an inflammation caused by bacteria.
Development of Periodontal disease:
The first step of the inflammation of the gum is called “Gingivitis”
The symptoms of Gingivitis are:
- The gum becomes swollen, red, and, sometimes,
- The gum can bleed easily
Gingivitis can normally be reversed by a good dental hygiene comprising:
- Daily flossing and brushing, and,
- Regular “deep” cleaning performed by a Dentist or a Dental Hygienist.
If the Gingivitis cannot be reversed by a good Dental Hygiene, then a Periodontal treatment is needed.
The first step is Non-Surgical: It is conventionally called Deep Cleaning, comprising Scaling and Root Planing.”
This Procedure made usually by a G.P. Dentist, comprises:
This procedure helps gum tissue to heal and periodontal pockets to shrink. After the deep cleaning, most of the patients do not require any further treatment, only preventive care/good Dental Hygiene.
- Scaling: removing the dental plaque and calculus/tartar, then:
- Root Planing: Smoothing or planing of the exposed root surfaces, by removing Tartar
- If the Deep Cleaning has not proved successful – generally because periodontal pockets are deep and the supporting bone is lost, A Surgery might be necessary to avoid tooth loss. This Surgery will be made by a Periodontist.
- Surgical Periodontal treatment:
- This procedure is only made by a Periodontist, a Specialist Dentist who has specialized in the treatment of diseases that affect the supporting structure of the teeth including the gum and bone tissues.
- Surgery will allow the Periodontist to access areas under the gum and along the roots where tartar and plaque have accumulated.
- The Periodontist may recommend additional procedures like bone grafts, used to rebuild or reshape the bone damaged by Periodontal disease.